Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Listen While You Work





"...stay off Mr. Johnson's lawn ba da pa ba da pa pa..." These are just a few lyrics that are running through my head as I "listen and work" to the sounds of Terrence Howard. Howard's debut album "Shine Through It" is what I like to call easy listening. It's a mixture of old school soul, Raphael Saadiq, and Terrence's "Band of kings" -which is the name of his band. As I'm listening to the music I can't help but to think of James Bond, and the song "Love Makes You Beautiful," would be a perfect fit for one of Bond's international spy scenes. In my personal opinion, Howard's vocals aren't as smooth and elegant as a Reuben Studdard or Lionel Richie; meaning he would be the first to get the boot from American Idol. What keeps me listening and what makes Howard so unique is his passion and confidence to sing. Howard's voice sounds rough but it's a consistent harmony so he transitions wells and it's a nice change. With Terrence's heart and personal experience thrown into his lyrics, and the engaging sounds of the band, the cd comes together. I would definitely recommend added this cd to any collection.
“Whistle while you work," or in my case listening to music while I work helps to calm the nerves when things start to get a little busy. Does music spark my creativity? Has music given me the latest and greatest idea for my next marketing campaign? Not yet... but music is soothing, it slaps boredom in the face, it keeps me focused and it helps me to remain productive while working.

Check out the entire cd at www.imeem.com/terrencehoward.

What does music do for you during your 9 to 5?

No comments: